Like many of you out there. My family and I don’t live in a forest or on a mountain. We live in the real world and are surrounded by lots of “non-human” things. You know, stuff like: chairs, electrically heated water, electrical anything, cars, shoes, and movies.
So if I were to ask you what food came to mind when I said “movie”, you would probably say popcorn, right?
And what’s the most convenient, cleanest way to get popcorn into your belly? Yes! The Microwave.
Let’s take a look at why microwaveable popcorn may not be the best thing for your human bodies:
- Plastic — when you heat up the petrochemicals in plastic, other harmful chemicals are absorbed into your food. Many microwave popcorns have plastic liners. No good.
- Synthetic Fats — manufacturers of non-human food LOVE these fats because they allow foods to sit on a shelf for generations without spoiling. Don’t believe any health claims on the package saying there aren’t any trans fats. Look at the LABEL. If you see any oils listed other than olive or coconut, it is most likely a vegetable or hydrogenated oil. Avoid those. They are literally poisonous.
- Genetically Modified Organisms — or GMOs. Yes, the undisputed champion of non-human foods. And one of the big three GMOs? Corn. They’re not good people. Do I need science to back that up? No. There IS science to back that up — but why don’t we just leave it at “humans are not designed to eat foods that have been altered in a lab to ensure they are resistant to poison and yield as much crop per acre as possible.”
- Flavorings — many of today’s processed foods taste and smell great because of synthetic flavors and scents that are forced upon them. Real, human food tastes great and smells amazing on its own. You don’t need fake taste and smell. But they work. And one of the chemicals that smells like butter is called diacetyl and it’s been linked to lung disease. That’s just one. There are many others. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to understand that chemical smells and flavors are non-human foods and will have a negative reaction in the body.
- PFCs — or perfluorochemicals. This is another great invention that many fast food manufacturers use. And what do you know, it’s been linked to cancer and reproductive system damage. It’s also been linked to thyroid disease and ADHD. Once it’s in your system, it stays there for LONG TIME.
So what do you do if you really like popcorn and want to have some popcorn while you watch a movie with your significant other or your kids…or by yourself?
When it’s movie night, we make the following recipe.
Yummy Buttery Popcorn
- 1/2 cup organic popping kernels
- 2 tbsp grass fed butter
- sea salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut or MCT oil
- heat up oil in a 3 quart pan on high heat
- put two kernels in the pan, make sure they get coated with oil, and put the lid on the pan
- when one of those kernels pops, dump in the corn
- gently rock the pan until all kernels are popped (make sure lid is on)
- take off heat when popping begins to slow (they pop really fast) and dump into a big bowl
- melt 2 tbsp butter in small sauce pan and pour over the popcorn
- top with sea salt
So there you go. This popcorn is absolutely incredible tasting. It smell amazing. Clean up is easy. Making it is easy. It only has four ingredients. And zero, count ‘em, ZERO of the aforementioned negative things normally found in microwave popcorn.
Try it out. And leave the synthetic, fake, poisonous foods for the rats.