I have mentioned before that John’s grandpa was from the Philippines and for his family; Filipino food was a staple. I have created a paleo version of one of John’s favorite dishes before, and you can find my Paleo Pancit recipe here.
Today’s post is about Chicken Adobo. Adobo is an extremely popular Filipino dish and the other night I made a super fast version of this yummy meal using coconut aminos instead of the standard soy sauce and the end result was delicious!
We served the chicken on top of a mix of greens that I roasted with some fresh garlic, thinly sliced beets and coconut oil.
Here’s how I made the chicken:
Too Easy Chicken Adobo
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (seasoned lightly on both sides with salt and pepper. You can also use skin on and bone in but you’ll need to up the cooking time by about 10 minutes once the chicken is in the sauce.)
1/4 cup coconut oil
½ medium red onion, diced
3-4 garlic cloves minced
½ cup chicken broth
¼ cup coconut aminos
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
Lots of black pepper
1. In a large skillet heat the coconut oil over medium to medium high heat.
2. Once the oil is nice and hot, place the chicken thighs into the oil and brown on both sides (about 3-4 minutes per side).
3. Remove the browned chicken from the pan and set aside.
4. Add to the same pan the onions and saute in the remaining oil until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds or just until fragrant.
5. Add the chicken broth, coconut aminos, and apple cider vinegar to the onions and garlic and whisk together well. Bring the sauce to a simmer.
6. Add the chicken back to the sauce, in the pan, turn the heat down to low and cover. Simmer the chicken in the sauce for five minutes, turn the chicken over, cover and cook for another five minutes. Season with plenty of black pepper and serve on its own or on a bed of greens like we did.
Roasted Mixed Greens with Beets and Garlic
This is more of an idea than an actual recipe. I used what veggies that I had leftover from my CSA box and made this dish to go with our easy chicken adobo.
2 bunches of kale
1 bunch of rainbow chard
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 small beets, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced.
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Wash and dry the greens and remove the leaves from the tough stems.
4. Chop the greens into small pieces and spread them evenly on a baking sheet.
5. Evenly spread the sliced garlic on top of the greens.
5. Evenly spread the sliced beets on top of the greens.
6. Drizzle with plenty of melted coconut oil.
7. Season with a little bit of salt and pepper.
Roast in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until the beets and garlic are tender.
As always, enjoy!!